August is officially here and NFL training camp is well underway.
Leading the news is more fallout for Riley Cooper, who has been the subject of a great deal of controversy after a video of him using a racial slur leaked on the internet Wednesday.
Teammate LeSean McCoy, while making statements sort-of forgive Cooper for his use of the slur, did also say that hearing Cooper’s statement left him feeling like he lost a friend and that he can’t “respect a guy like that.”
“I forgive him. We’ve been friends for a long time,” McCoy said on Thursday. “But in a situation like this, you really find out about someone. Just on a friendship level, I can’t really respect someone like that.”
According to beat reporters in Philadelphia, the whole situation has created quite a rift in the locker room, and many teammates are having a difficult time accepting Cooper’s apology, though those players haven’t communicated the feelings directly to the wide receiver.
Cooper also admitted that he has personally struggled because of the controversy, telling the media he “didn’t sleep or eat last night (Wednesday night).” “I came in underweight and the whole nine yards,” Cooper said. “It was the toughest night I’ve had. It was tough, it was tough.”
The Eagles have fined Cooper an undisclosed for his use of the N-word,while Rodger Goodell has stated the he will not be disciplined by the league as the current CBA doesn’t permit dual punishment by the league and a team for the same incident.
- More injury news: San Francisco 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver has torn his ACL and will miss the entire 2013 season.
- TMZ has obtained a handwritten letter from Aaron Hernandez, in reply to a fan. In the letter, Hernandez proclaims his innocence, writing “I can’t wait to sign this again when I’m playing again an prove all the haters an da talkers WRONG,” and asks the recipient to “keep this off social media PLEASE.” (Via Deadspin).
- Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll says there is no timetable for Percy Harvin’s return, though he did add that it’s possible Harvin could return this season. Harvin had surgery on a torn labrum in his hip on Thursday morning.
- Greg Jennings “apologized” for his criticism of his former teammate Aaron Rodgers in a session with the media on Thursday.
- Reports from training camp indicate Buffalo Bills wide receiver has been working in the slot and could be making the transition inside.
Kristine Reese is the NFL editor for Aerys Sports. You can follow her on Twitter @KristineReese.