Only two weeks into the season & it seems as though the league is already plagued with injuries. If your fantasy team is looking rough, don’t worry it’s only week 3 & there are solutions to your team’s injuries. Here are the top 10 injuries you need to be aware of & some helpful alternatives.
1. Michael Vick (Concussion) – Vick reportedly “wants to practice on Wednesday” but the team doctor has made it clear he must pass a concussion test before being cleared. He is questionable for Sunday but hopefully will be ready to go. The Eagles said on Thursday that Vick was a full participant with no restrictions.
2. Arian Foster (Hamstring) – The Texans star running back can’t seem to shake this hamstring injury. Ben Tate is expected to carry most of the load short term. Foster didn’t practice on Monday or Tuesday with the team but is probable for week 3. He did return to practice on Thursday but was “limited”.
3. Tony Romo (Ribs) – As most NFL fans heard, Romo left the game last Sunday only to return & win it in OT. It was reported he had two fractured ribs, but it turned out to be one fractured rib & a punctured lung. He is listed as probable for Sunday. “I would not think there’s any reason to think that he would not play (next) Monday,” head coach Jason Garrett stated. “We’re certainly hopeful.” Keep your eye on this over the next few days before benching Romo.
4. Miles Austin (Hamstring) – After a huge fantasy week it is reported that Austin will be out until October 16th versus the New England Patriots. There is a chance he could come back before that but is expected to recover through the Cowboys bye week in week 5 before returning.
5. Mario Manningham (Concussion) – The Giants WR left the game on Monday night versus the Rams with a concussion. Domenik Hixon filled in during the MNF game but tore his ACL. He will be out for the season. With the Giants suffering from injuries in the WR slot, Victor Cruz will become the main target for Eli Manning.
6. Aaron Hernandez (MCL) – The Patriot TE sprained his MCL & is expected to be out for 1-2 weeks. This means the Patriots will rely on Ron Gronkowski heavily, his fantasy value will go up significantly.
7. Steven Jackson (Quad) – The Rams RB is questionable for Sunday. If he does not play Cadillac Williams will become the main target & his fantasy value will go up. He will likely be a game time decision again this week.
8. Calvin Johnson (Ankle) – Detroit’s WR missed practice Wednesday, but it is just to rest. He is still expected to play on Sunday versus the Vikings.
9. Lee Evans (Ankle) – The Ravens WR is listed questionable for Sunday’s game versus the Rams. “To me, if he can do the things we need him to do, he plays. If he can’t, he won’t play,” stated head coach John Harbaugh. If Evans is out, Anquan Boldin will have a higher fantasy value in week 3. There has been talk about Evans resting his ankle over the weekend & possibly sitting out on Sunday.
10. Roscoe Parrish (Ankle) – Buffalo’s WR has been placed on injured reserve & will be out for the season. Steve Johnson & David Nelson will now be the main targets for Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Corinna is the lead Jacksonville Jaguars writer for Aerys Sports and a regular contributor to Aerys Offsides. Have a specific Fantasy Football Question? Need a second opinion on who to start & who to sit? You can send in your questions for next week’s mailbag featured on Aerys Offsides. Let us know on Facebook or tweet us, @KristineReese or @RoarBlackNTeal.