Call it ‘Plan B.’
It seems the Denver Broncos are preparing for life after defensive end Elvis Dumervil. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. This could just be the Broncos doing their due diligence. Or maybe not. Whatever.
Mutliple sources report the Denver Broncos meeting with free-agent pass rushers Dwight Freeney and John Abraham. According to ESPN, Freeney, who has spent his entire 11-year NFL career in Indianapolis, was scheduled to fly into Denver Wednesday night, though it’s unclear when he’s speaking with Denver. Abraham, a 15-year veteran who spent the past seven years in Atlanta, will visit the Broncos sometime Thursday.
On Tuesday, the Broncos offered Dumervil a new deal, but the DE is shopping around. The Baltimore Ravens are among the teams rumored to be interested.
At a glance:
- Age 33
- Indianapolis Colts 2002-12
- Career: 107½ sacks, 298 tackles, 44 forced fumbles
- 2012: 5 sacks, 12 tackles, 1 forced fumble (moved to LB in Colts’ 3-4 defense)
- Age 34
- New York Jets 2000-05; Atlanta Falcons 2006-2012
- Career: 122 sacks, 508 tackles, 44 forced fumbles
- 2012: 10 sacks, 35 tackles, 6 forced fumbles
- Associated Press: NFL passes helmet rule, ends tuck rule
- Bleacher Report: Ranking Denver Broncos’ Best Remaining Defensive End Free-Agent Options
- Denver Broncos: Miller Gaining New Perspective on USO Tour
- Denver Broncos: Fox Expecting Improvement from ‘Explosive’ Hillman