The Denver Broncos have released their first preseason depth chart.
Keep in mind the depth chart will change before the Sept. 9 season opener, but here are a few interesting nuggets:
- Caleb Hanie is currently listed as the Broncos’ backup quarterback.
- Lance Ball is the second-team running back behind Willis McGahee. Rookie Ronnie Hillman – and not Knowhson Moreno – is third-team.
- Rookie DT Derek Wolfe is listed as second-string defensive end. As I tweeted at the Broncos’ July 28 training camp practice, I noticed Wolfe lining up both at end and interior.
- Suspended LB D.J. Williams is listed as first-team just ahead of Wesley Woodyard.
- Eric Decker (punts) and Lance Ball (kickoffs) are listed at first-team returners.
Broncos Sign Veteran Linebacker
The Broncos have added some depth at linebacker with the signing of free agent Keith Brooking.
The five-time Pro Bowler is entering his 15th NFL season. He played most recently with Dallas, and before that Atlanta. The Denver Post reports Brooking will begin practicing with the Broncos Saturday.
Denver has placed newly signed safety Jim Leonhard on the physically unable to perform list. Meanwhile, the Broncos tweeted earlier today that RB Mario Fannin has been placed on Injured Reserve because of an Achilles tendon injury.