Duke ace Marcus Stroman was named the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week. He was also featured in the Golden Spikes spotlight by both Baseball America and USA Baseball.
Why did he receive this honor?
- Stroman struck out a career-high 17 batters in seven shutout innings against George Washington on Friday night.
- He only faced 23 hitters and did not issue a walk.
- He struck out the side three times (4-5-6 innings).
- He struck out at least two in every inning he pitched.
- He retired the first 11 batters he faced and only allowed two hits (a double and a single). Then he finished his outing by retiring the final eight hitters.
Stroman is the second Blue Devil to receive a weekly honor. Robert Huber was named the player of the week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association after his first start of the season at Texas.
*The ACC may be getting better. The 9-1 Maryland Terrapins have jumped into the BA top 25 ranking for the first time…ever.