Isn’t it amazing? We’ve actually had Reds news the last couple days. It’s not exactly the most exciting stuff in the world. But… news!
- The Reds have their promotional schedule for 2013 out, and Red Reporter has all the highlights for you. Bobbleheads this year are: Votto, Phillips, Frazier, Latos, and Chapman. I’m still waiting for the Brandon Phillips Bowling Ball giveaway. Surely there’s nothing impractical about that.
- Two Reds have come to one-year deals with the team, avoiding arbitration. Chris Heisey is in with essentially a standard midpoint deal (Heisey: 1.6, Team: 1.05, Deal: 1.325). Alfredo Simon and the team also settled, but the number hasn’t been released yet. At “somewhere between $750,000 and $1,050,000″, I’m not that concerned.
- MLB.com released their top 100 prospects going into 2013, with Rangers shorstop Jurickson Profar taking the number one spot this year. Reds prospects on the list include #11 Billy Hamilton (#3 OF prospect), #51 Robert Stephenson, #66 Tony Cingrani (#6 LHP). Former Red Didi Gregorius also made the list (#63), now in the Diamondbacks system.
- Jamie Ramsey posted the broadcast schedule for Reds spring training. Only 1 game will be televised on FSN Ohio, but most games will be on the Radio, and a handful will be on audio-streamed on Reds.com. Of course, there may also be a couple of games televised by the opponent’s network, which might get picked up by MLB Network. Maybe.
- And apparently Rolen does want to come back? But they haven’t worked out a deal yet. Fay interprets it as a money issue. I have nothing but respect for Rolen, but I don’t think it makes sense for us at this point. As Fay points out, there’s not a lot of money left in the banana stand, and I think the pieces we already have are going to be more useful.
I told you it wasn’t very exciting. Thankfully, there’s less than two weeks until pitchers and catchers report, so we’ll be able to overreact to the trickle of standardized quotes that players give in spring training. Hooray!