It took four nominations but Henrik Lundqvist finally took home the Vezina trophy for best goaltender. Congrats to THE King!
I know people will say others deserved it but I disagree. This is a regular season award. Jonathan Quick was the best goalie of the playoffs, hands down. But I don’t believe he was the best goalie of the entire regular season. Sure he had some great points but where was he at the beginning of the year when the Kings fired their coach in hopes of saving their season? And don’t give me that “he got no support” argument. Henrik hasn’t had support for years yet no one has said he deserved the award until this year. Anyway, enough venting. In my mind, the right guy won. (Call it bias if you want but this is the first year I thought he deserved it.)
The best part about Henrik winning? For the first time in seven seasons, I saw the man nervous in front of a camera. How did I know? HE CURSED! Our perfect goaltender who never says anything wrong, let out a big ole F bomb right in the middle of his speech. Don’t believe me? Here’s the proof:
I still can’t believe it. Of course the boys weren’t going to let him get away with it. Martin Biron tweeted right away:
But Del Zotto had the best quote by tweeting:
He is definitely never living this down!
As for the other awards, some Rangers notes now that the full totals have been released:
* Lundqvist came in third place in the Hart Trophy voting. Not surprised as goalies are rarely nominated for this in the first place.
* John Tortorella came in second for the Adams trophy. Am actually surprised he beat MacLean but not surprised he lost. Hitchcock deserved it.
* Ryan Callahan came in fourth place in Selke trophy voting…above regulars such as Jordan Staal, Ryan Kesler and Jonathan Toews. Guarantee his plus/minus killed him or he may have actually been in the top three. Not going to lie, proud of my captain for coming in fourth.
* Dan Girardi came in sixth in Norris trophy voting. Excuse me while I freak out for a second…SIXTH PLACE? OUT OF EVERYONE? ARE YOU SERIOUS? THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING DANNY. CONGRATS! …Okay, I’m done now.
* Also for the Norris, Ryan McDonagh came in 11th and Michael Del Zotto came in 12th. Think people will be talking about the Rangers defense for a long time. Totally biased opinion but yes our defense is amazing.
* Carl Hagelin was in fifth place for the Calder. Sounds about right to me.
* Glen Sather was fourth in voting for GM of the Year. Wait, what?
And on that note, we can put the 2011-2012 season to rest. Congrats to all the other winners!