While Rangers fans wait to find out what sort of voodoo magic trade Jon Daniels has up his sleeve, the Rangers took the field in the final game of their series against the Red Sox. Your match up: Derek Holland vs Josh Beckett.
So, who knows what sort of outcome we’ll get…
Well, thankfully Rangers fans were blessed with good Derek Holland. Finally. Yeah, he wasn’t perfect, but he was light years better than that shell of a pitcher we’ve been graced with lately. Holland, who had a pretty rough outing last time, went 7 2/3 innings, giving up 3 runs (2 of which were solo shots). Holland finally had his off-speed stuff working for him tonight, and as we all know, that usually leads to good things. Let’s hope he sticks around for a while. You know, through October…
Offensively, things weren’t quite as spectacular. Yeah, the boys scored 5 runs, but how they got some of them wasn’t really their doing. They squandered a chance for a big inning with men at 1st and 3rd with no outs in the 3rd. Alas, no runs scored. Josh Beckett really wasn’t pitching that great, and it’s frustrating to see this offense not just pound the crap out of him.
The 4th was a bit kinder to the Rangers. Doubles by Young and Murphy would give the Rangers their first run and a beautiful suicide squeeze executed by Gentry and Murphy would tie the game at 2′s. Kinsler flied to right and Ross couldn’t come up with the ball, which scored another run for the Rangers.
Fast-forward to the 7th. Andrus is hit by a pitch. Beltre would single to move Elvis to 3rd and a wild pitch would score him. (If you’re keeping track at home, the Rangers have a run due to a misplayed fly ball and another on a wild pitch.)
Thankfully, Cruz must have thought the fans needed some fireworks, and provided a BOOMSTICK in the 8th.
FINAL: Rangers 5, Red Sox 3
A few thoughts/notes:
- The Rangers left 5 guys in scoring position on. They were also 3-10 with RISP. This is officially a problem.
- I want Craig Gentry to play every day. Always.
- Nelson Cruz also made a fantastic catch in the 4th to go along with his BOOMSTICK. Funny how earlier today, people suggesting the Rangers sign an outfielder and move Cruz to DH. Guys, he’s been pretty freakin’ good out in Right this year.
- Cookie Talk has officially been moved to a thing called “Tom’s Treats” on FoxSportsSouthwest.com. And we all win.
- Josh Hamilton was atrocious yet again tonight. 0-3 with a walk and a strike out. And 3 LOBsters. His average is down to .287. Yo Wash, can we sit him? Or at least move him in the lineup? Seriously, he can’t get much worse.