Rangers 1, Rays 0
The Starter And The Game
Yu Darvish had his second straight great outing, going seven innings, scattering six hits, walking only two and striking out ten. The only trouble he really got into was the top of the second when he walked Zobrist to start the inning and Luke Scott followed with a double, putting runners at second and third. Darvish then got Pena on a strikeout, Ryan Robert flew out to shallow center and Jose Lobaton grounded out. Darvish only allowed four base runners after that in the next five innings. Mike Adams threw back-to-back NASTY curve balls to strike out Evan Longoria, and then Mitch Moreland made a heck of a dive and glove save on the line for the last out of the eighth.
Mike Adams pitched the eighth inning, gave up a single and struck out one. Joe Nathan shut it down in the ninth by striking out the side for his 27th save.
The only run scored by the Rangers was an Ian Kinsler solo home run to lead off the fourth inning. As a team they only had four hits, two walks and struck out eight times. They also were 0-2 with RISP and left eight men on base.
End Of The Bench Notes
- This was the eighth double-digit strikeout game for Darvish this season. It’s a Rangers rookie record. He leads the majors. Now has 182 for the season.
- Nolan Ryan leads the Rangers with eighteen double-digit strikeout games in the 1989 season
- Entering tonight, Darvish had a 5.09 ERA in innings 1-3, a 4.14 ERA in innings 4-6, and a 3.45 ERA in innings 7-9
- Darvish’s last two outings: 14 IP, 9 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 3 BB, 20 K
- Rangers have only the eight 1-0 wins since 2000 but three have been in 2012
- Nelson Cruz was hit by a pitch. Left elbow contusion. X-rays negative
- Rays are the first team to lose four 1-0 games in a calendar month since the 1955 White Sox
Rangers go for the sweep with LH Matt Harrison [15-7, 3.04 ERA, 149 ERA+, 1.22 WHIP] v. RH Alex Cobb [8-8, 4.32 ERA, 86 ERA+, 1.29 WHIP]