- The Rangers and Derek Holland reached an agreement on a 5yr/$28 million extension. The contract includes two option years, meaning Texas could lock up the starter until 2018. The lefty posted a 3.94 FIP last season.
- Outfielder Jason Bourgeois and catcher Humberto Quintero are headed from Houston to Kansas City, in exchange for a minor league pitcher and a PTBNL. The trade will infuse Houston with more young talent, and provide the Royals with a veteran backstop in the wake of Salvador Perez’ knee surgery.
- Dontrelle Willis is headed not to the Rockies, as I suggested last week, but to Baltimore on a minor league contract. Willis would make $700k in the big leagues, most likely as a lefty specialist in the ‘pen.
- Catcher Nick Hundley signed a 3yr/$9 million extension with the Padres, buying out his arbitration years. The deal includes an option for 2015 as well. The 28-year-old posted a respectable .288/.347/.477 line in 82 games last season.
- Currently being shopped: Giants middle infielders Ryan Theriot and Mike Fontenot; Orioles corner outfielder Mark Reynolds and relief pitcher Kevin Gregg.
- Free agent DH Vladimir Guerrero is determined to play this season, and will consider heading to Japan if he runs out of options stateside.
To keep up with transaction news in real-time, check out MLB Trade Rumors, their Twitter account, and their Free Agent Tracker. The regular season is bearing down on us, so we’ll see you back here next week!