The highly politicized situation regarding Nassau Coliseum is apparently heating back up… just a bit.
Nassau County politicians are reportedly dueling with each other regarding ideas for a new arena. One plan, thought up by Democrat Jay Jacobs, would require Isles owner Charles Wang to front 80% of the cost (with the other 20% coming from county funds), while the other (the brainchild of Republican Ed Mangano) would depend on no county funds whatsoever. All of this comes after Wang has apparently washed his hands of the Nassau County situation, looking to move the Islanders after 2015 when the Coliseum lease expires.
Basically, what this boils down to is that neither party rep seems to be willing to work together to keep the Islanders on LI, and neither Nassau nor Wang has the resources to plunk down and make a new arena appear. It’s pretty much all lip service at this point, and BD Gallof has an upcoming post regarding the fiasco that will no doubt explain it all much better than I ever could. Look out for it later this week.