Welcome to the first edition of a new, hopefully-daily feature here at Offsides … the Morning Blitz! Here we will try to get you some of the links from sources around the country to get you, your daily football fix! We’ll, as always, try to add a little humor to it!
So, sit back and sip your coffee … or whatever beverage that is in your hand … and enjoy!
The NFL’s new Player Assessment Tool is sure to give the Wonderlic a run for it’s money at the NFL Scouting Combine this week in Indianapolis. According to USAToday.com, the PAT is supposed to provide teams with an idea of whether a player will get along with teammates, make it to meetings on time and put in the effort to take his skills from good to great. Teams are making multi-million dollar investments in these athletes who get banged around. It is an excellent idea to make sure they are good decision makers. It just is … Seriously!
* Alleged Adderall abuser and Seattle Seahawks cornerback Robert Sherman says the NFL Draft is a “sham.” … Yeah, OK Robert. Here’s more from the Seattle P-I.
* Monte Kiffin understands the pressure he is taking on by becoming the Dallas Cowboys’ new defensive coordinator. But you have to wonder about that when he justifies this by saying he is 72 going on 52! Here’s more on Kiffin from the San Antonio Express-News.
* The city of Charlotte’s plan to contribute $125 million toward renovating Bank of America stadium started with a letter Mayor Anthony Foxx sent to the team last September, according to Carolina Panthers president Danny Morrison. Here’s more on the letter and other possible financing sources for the renovation from the Charlotte Observer.
* Per TMZ, Terrell Owens was confronted by LA Police Friday after refusing to leave a woman’s home after knocking on her door for three hours. THREE HOURS! The woman was not afraid but just wanted T.O. to go. … I do not blame her. Not one bit!
* Indianapolis Colt’s new offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton is excited about working with quarterback Andrew Luck. Of course, he is! Hamilton was the offensive coordinator at Stanford with Luck. That’s right! He’s going to coach Andrew … AGAIN! According to the IndyStar.com, Hamilton’s background is West Coast-oriented. ”In 2011, [Hamilton] and Luck formed a prolific tandem. Their offense set school records with 561 points and 6,361 total yards.” This is excellent news for Colt fans worried after the departure of Coach Bruce Arians to the Arizona Cardinals.
Tim Tebow News…
Tim stirred the controversy pot big time this weekend. No. It wasn’t girlfriend news. And it wasn’t about his on the field… or lack there of … play. Nope! Tim is set to speak to the congregation at First Baptist Church in Dallas. The pastor of the church, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, is well a bit controversial. The evangelical megachurch pastor is anti-gay and anti-other-religions. Need I say more?
Yes, it is well known that Tim is a devout evangelical Christian. That’s awesome. But, people are upset that he will be speaking at this church. And it’s understandable given the pastor’s grand showing of acceptance of different people and cultures… It’s hard for fans and observers to just sit back and watch this NFL athlete speak at a place where Tim’s normal message of goodness and love is … well … not observed. They wonder if Tim will catered to the audience and give a message similar to that of Jeffress. While I seriously doubt that could happen, it is interesting.
Tim is slated to speak at the church on April 28. Here’s more on Tebow’s visit to the megachurch from the New York Daily News. And here’s something from the Advocate regarding Jeffress, if you’d like to learn more about his opinions. And here’s some thoughts from our very own Kristine Reese about Tebow speaking at the Dallas church.
Also? Looking for something to lighten the mood regarding Tim Tebow? There is this…
Oh! Pick your jaw up off the keyboard!
Have a great day!
Miranda Remaklus is lead writer for Aerys Offsides. Follow her on Twitter, @missmiranda.