Black Monday is upon us and several surprises and not so big surprises took place. Let’s discuss!
* Arizona Cardinals. Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt and general manager Rod Graves are out. With more problems under center than one could fathom, in addition to a plethora of other issues, the firing of this duo is no surprise at all. It will be a breath of fresh air to see what is next for this team!
* Buffalo Bills. Chan Gailey was let go after three seasons that went nowhere in Buffalo. Case in point, last season’s wonderful start and then collapse and then this season … well, their record ended up 6-10. Need I say more? I’m sure the frustrated fan base is ready for a big change. The status of general manager Buddy Nix is unknown.
* Chicago Bears. Lovie Smith is out. I am a little surprised with this move. But he did only go to the playoffs three times in nine seasons. Unacceptable for this rabid fan base, for certain. General manager Phil Emery took the job last year and will hire his own guy. Should be an interesting off-season in Chicago. Keep up with the team’s moves at Windy City Sweetness!
* Cleveland Browns. Coach Pat Shurmur and GM Tom Heckert. Gone. No surprise! A 5-11 season. Two rookie sensations in Brandon Weeden and Trent Richardson. So much promise. So much fail. Look for new owner Jimmy Haslam to make some noise this off season! For more on the Browns, check out Dawg Treats!
* Kansas City Chiefs. Coach Romeo Crennel is out. GM Scott Pioli’s status is still in limbo. After a disappointing 2-14 season, moves were bound to be made. Hate to see Crennel out but … it’s safe to say he could use a break after this season and witnessing the suicide of player Javon Belcher.
* Philadelphia Eagles. Andy Reid is out. After 14 seasons as head coach. The only surprise here is that it took this long. Seriously. Expect lots of moves from the Eagles this off season too … including players!
* San Diego Chargers. Yeah, big surprise! Norv Turner and A.J. Smith are out. Again. Expect big moves this off season!
* New York Jets. GM Mike Tannenbaum was let go this morning but Coach Rex Ryan will stay on. Check out Kristine Reese’s story on this move at The Green Room!
* Jacksonville Jaguars. GM Gene Smith is out. Head Coach Mike Mularkey could be next. For more on the Jags, check out Roaring Black and Teal!
Who is safe?
* Tennesee Titans coach Mike Munchak. But, personnel executive Mike Reinfeldt is out.
* Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said he hasn’t even thought about changing head coaches. So, Jason Garrett is probably safe! He may be asked to make some moves with his assistants though. An offensive coordinator that will help Tony Romo, maybe?
We will update this as more moves are announced today!