Strange things that happened today:
- Tony Campana was caught stealing for the first time.
- He also walked. Twice.
- Jerry Hairston missed hitting for the cycle by a double.
- Jerry Hairston hit a home run. Matt Kemp did not.
- Joe Mather hit a home run – to the opposite field.
- The bullpen didn’t blow a lead (though not for lack of trying).
- Yes, it’s true: the Cubs actually won!
Not at all strange things that happened today:
- Matt Kemp hit an RBI triple.
- Kerry Wood was depressingly bad and gave up two runs.
- Tony Campana dove for a ball and managed to deflect it for extra bases.
- Rafael Dolis closed the game and scared the crap out of everybody.
- He also had to face an extra batter because of a blown call by the home plate umpire.
All told, today’s game was pretty promising. There was some late-inning excitement, even without Carlos Marmol closing; but the Cubs maintained a respectable lead through seven innings after getting on the board in the first, finishing with a 5-4 victory over Los Angeles.