After last night’s brutal loss to the Cincinnati Reds, we all need some reasons to be positive about the Chicago Cubs. Her’es my best attempt:
10. History – My grandmother was born in 1909. She and I were able to talk about going Wrigley to watch the same team. Have you ever heard of Diamondback fans talking about sitting in the centerfield pool with their grandparents? No, you haven’t.
8. The Chicago Cubs online community. Cubs bloggers, commenters, and tweeters are the funniest fucks around. This skill is most likely developed as the brain’s natural defense against suicide, but still. It works.
7. The Broadcasters: It’s no secret that Keith Moreland and Jim Deshaies aren’t exactly my cup of tea, but hey, I don’t have to listen to Hawk Harrelson and whoever those guys on White Sox radio are (shudders).
6. Wrigley Field Mai-Tais: I don’t know what’s in these things, but they are the cheapest buzz around. If only vendors carried them up and down the aisles so I didn’t have to keep getting up.
5. Anthony Rizzo: He’s by far and away the best player in baseball who shares his name with a Stockard Channing character. Enough said.
4. Matt Garza: Sure, he’s always injured. But when he’s not, he does a fair amount of yelling at Dale Sveum from the mound, and that’s always fun to watch.