Opening Day is still two weeks away, the games are, if possible, getting LESS interesting, and I can’t possibly write one more headline about how much Dale Sveum loves Jeff Samardzija. I just can’t do it.
So, rather then doing our typical morning headlines, I thought we’d have some fun this morning. Those of you in Chicago are probably familiar with Red Eye’s daily 5-on-5 feature, wherein various people weigh in on 5 sports topics and attempt to be funny while doing so. No, this isn’t another contest (I’m well aware of what you all think of my choice of prizes . . SNIFF), just an attempt to break out of the Spring Training doldrums. So here we go. Answer in the comments, in 20 words or less for each question, if you please:
1. Soriano has 5 HRs and a .355 average so far this Spring. What gives?
2. Kevin Goldstein says the Cubs will win 71 games this year. How many will they REALLY win?
3. Jeff Samardzija is a legit candidate for one of two open spots in the starting rotation. React.
4. The Hunger Games opens today. Which Cub would survive a team-wide fight to the death?
5. Too many new faces on the Cubs this year. Pick a player and give him a nickname
The Cubs take on the Rockies this afternoon, and the current Golden Boy, Jeff Samardzija, will make his bid for a spot in the starting rotation. You can listen to a free live webcast this afternoon on Cubs.com
Friday means Wrigley Talk Friday comes your way today! For a special treat, you will get one of two options today: Tim and Adam at 1:00 pm CT or Tim, Adam, and Julie at 2:00 pm CT. Make sure you pay attention to Twitter to see which one shakes out.
Finally, it’s time to get back to our weekly iPod 5. This week, we need some songs to get us through the next two weeks to Opening Day. Fire up the ole iPod, hit “shuffle,” and give us the first five songs that come up. No cheatsies. No judgment.